A carer is an employee who looks after looks after a child, relative, partner or friend who needs help because of their age, illness or disability. If you have been continuously employed for at least 26 weeks, you can make an application for flexible working if you care for, or expect to be caring for either:

  • A child under 17 years old (or 18 if the child is disabled); or
  • A person aged 18 or over.

See: How to apply for flexible working arrangements