Application for a witness order
When to use a witness order in the employment tribunal?
A witness order is made by the employment tribunal to compel a person to attend a hearing as a witness. In the civil courts it is called a witness summons and it is a criminal offence not to attend the hearing without reasonable excuse if you receive a witness order or summons. An application for a witness order must be made in writing to the employment tribunal.
Use this template to apply to the employment tribunal for a witness order for reluctant witnesses such as colleagues who are afraid to be witnesses because they are still working for your employer.
How to use the witness order template
- Make sure to read the guidance that comes with the template before you complete it.
- Email your application to the employment tribunal with your case name and number in the subject line.
- Send a copy to the other side and let the employment tribunal know that you have copied them in.
- The employment tribunal will acknowledge receipt immediately, but you must wait for a letter or email that confirms whether or not your application for adjournment or postponement is agreed.
- Follow up by email if you have not heard from the employment tribunal within a reasonable period after sending your application. If you follow up by phone, still send an email reiterating that you have followed up by phone.