Application for costs template
When to apply for costs in the employment tribunal?
Under the Employment Tribunal Rules, the Employment Tribunal can award costs against a party who has acted “vexatiously, abusively, deceptively or otherwise unreasonably” or who has brought proceedings that are deemed to be misconceived. This means that you can apply for costs against your employer for acting vexatiously, abusively, deceptively or otherwise unreasonably, and your employer can apply for costs against you for the same reason, as well as for bringing misconceived proceedings. Costs are divided into legal costs, preparation time costs or wasted costs. If you are representing yourself, you can apply for preparation time costs.
How to use the costs application template
- Make sure to read the guidance that comes with the template before you complete it.
- Email your application to the employment tribunal with the subject, your case name and number on the subject line.
- Send a copy to the other side and let the employment tribunal know that you have copied them in.
- The employment tribunal will acknowledge receipt immediately, but you must wait for a letter or email that confirms whether or not your application for costs has been granted.
- Follow up by email if you have not heard from the employment tribunal within a reasonable period after sending your application. If you follow up by phone, still send an email reiterating that you have followed up by phone.